Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Trip to SC (the finale)

WARNING - There are no baby pictures in this post...it's all about me. Continue at your own risk.

Sooooo, I promised that the next post would be about the activities I did in SC not centered around Bo. Here it is.

So, first off, was my 10 year high school reunion! It's so weird to think that 10 years have already passed since I graduated. Even weirder is where I am in life after 10 years...married with a kid, living in Texas. And weird seeing everyone else grown up...or some not. To set the stage for my personal experience at the reunion, I have to say number one that I'm not one of those people that came out of high school with deep friendships - the kind that last through college and you end up being in each other's weddings. (there is one exception which I will discuss in a minute) Number two, I really hate superficial conversations. Number three, I am rarely around alcohol and dance clubs, because I live in a church bubble. So with these three things combined, my experience at the reunion had the potential of being, shall we say, AWFUL....talking about nothing with people I haven't kept in touch with who are drinking, mostly in excess, and dancing, mostly too close to one another.

BUT, it was actually fun. I did a lot of praying before I went. At one point I actually felt kind of nauseous because of not knowing what to expect. But seeing everyone from high school was actually enjoyable. Finding out what everybody is doing with their lives was quite interesting. Some highlights were: One of the guys in our prom date group is an eye doctor; I got invited by my prom date (who is married and has a kid) to come visit his family in Savannah, GA and go out on the lake in his boat!; of course, seeing cute pictures of everybody's kids; and hanging out with my old basketball teammates and our coach. So, I ended up having a good time.

Next, I was able to hang out with my childhood best friend, April, or as I have always called her, Apes. Before getting married and moving away, I missed her birthday for several years for various reasons - like being out of the country, not like I just forgot. But this year I was able to be with her on her birthday, and I was really glad. We always end up talking for a really long time and it's always good, deep conversation. I wish we could do it more often. I also got to see her family, who are like second parents to me, since me and Apes spent the night together so much growing up. They still make fun of us for playing in the dog house, making them watch our puppet shows, and acting out the lyrics to wildly unfamiliar songs such as "Buttermilk Biscuits." If anyone is familiar with this song, let me know. It would be a miracle.

I also traveled to good ol' Clinton, SC to my alma mater, Presbyterian College...home of the Blue Hose!! (if you don't know, look it up) On my way, I stopped in Chapin to visit with my college friend Zeta and her husband, and see her new house. It was a short but sweet visit. (love ya, girl!) In Clinton, I was able to meet up with my childhood friend and college roommate, Kat, who is married and about 10 days away from having her first baby! It was really fun to see her pregnant! (still praying for that little girl to arrive safe and healthy!) And fun to see the college town again. We ate lunch together and talked all about her pregnancy and being moms. Then we met up with Kelli, the girl who discipled both of us in college. It's always sweet time with her. She's in college ministry so she always asks really good questions. Thanks, KK, for taking time to hang out with us!
(Suzanne, if you read this, don't be mad. I stopped by the house, but y'all weren't home!)

I think that's about it, other than doing some shoppping (got some great deals on Bo's clothes at Kmart!), having the kids pictures taken (plug for Portrait Innovations - they rock!), and taking Mimi (my grandmother) to the eye doctor and the dollar store...and about a hundred trips to Wal-Mart.

Next blog - my 100 list.

3 comments:

lindley said...

Sounds like a great trip. I like all the different versions you shared with us! Nice, enticing ending to this one too---can't wait for the list!

amber@This Mommy Cooks said...

I'm glad you were able to have so much fun! I can't believe how big Bo is! We miss you guys! I can't wait for the list too!

Jennifer said...

First of all, I have to explain WHY I was reading your blog. Our AC went out and I had to wait up late for the workers to finish on Friday night. Computer-in-lap, I read almost every blog linked to Lindley and Amber's blogs...typically I don't read blogs of people I don't know!!!! However, I do go to Second Pres...so that connects us in some way, right?

That said, I just HAD to let you know that I do know the song "Buttermilk Biscuits." I loved it as a tween/teen. It IS a miracle!!!!

--Jennifer Thompson