Monday, October 13, 2008

Fire Trucks are Red

Last week, Bo came home with a saying that I had a really hard time putting together. It sounded like, "R, D, red", which I thought was, "already, red", which made absolutely no sense to me. A few minutes later while he was playing, I heard, "That spells red" and "Fire trucks are red". Now, my slow brain was finally putting the pieces together...He had learned a song about the color red! So what he really learned was, "R - E - D, red". Since that day, I've had the chance to listen to the song and now we can actually sing it together.

So, I thought the song was appropriate for this post about our visit to the Fire Department Open House. Some friends of ours were there with their two boys - the younger one is only 3 days younger than Bo. They all love playing together b/c they all love the same things - trains, construction vehicles and digging!

One of the treats Bo received at the Open House was a toy fire truck. At one point, my friend pointed out the fact that all the boys were eyes to the ground playing with their cheap, plastic, break-on-the-way-home fire trucks not more than two feet away from the great, big, real fire truck! And I thought, what a true picture of us, our sin and our Great, big God. Eyes to the ground, so consumed with the little cheap, plastic things of the world that only last a little while, that we don't notice being right next to the God who made the universe. What are my toy fire trucks? What are yours?

While you're thinking (and confessing), enjoy the pics...


This was Bo's attempt at obeying "Look at the camera" while wanting so badly to keep his eyes on the oh-so-popular robotic fire hydrant.


Looks like an athletic pose, except with a fire truck and fire helmet, instead of a football and football helmet. I guess he's got the squat down.


Like I said, right on the real fire truck but is consumed with the little, plastic one.



In the driver's seat with the little fire truck.


Mommy got to hold a real fire hose! It was pretty heavy. Bo just liked the water coming out.



Dexter, Wilson and Bo.


Mommy and Bo in front of the fire truck with the really tall ladder.

Next post: what we did after the fire department...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have I told you lately just how much I admire you, Sister in Christ. You are a bold witness, a great mom and an amazing friend.

Jeanine
Jeremiah 29:11

lindley said...

Great pictures! I'm sure he had a blast---Luke would have loved that too!

Anonymous said...

Love the firetruck analogy. You have such a great balance of being super smart and down to earth.

- Andy P.